EFA Doctoral Tutorial 2024 - Submission window February 15 - March 15, 2024.
PhD students in the field of Finance are invited to submit their applications for the EFA Doctoral Tutorial to be held on August 21, 2024. This is a pre-conference event designed for doctoral students held immediately prior to the official start of the 51st EFA Annual Meeting in Bratislava, Slovakia (August 21, 2024) organised by The National Bank of Slovakia
The one-day European Finance Association Doctoral Tutorial (EFA-DT) is an intensive and competitive session designed for PhD students in Finance who are nearing the end of their doctoral thesis and will soon be on the job market. Interested students apply in advance by submitting a single-authored paper and supporting documents (as per the relevant guidelines and deadlines posted) and eight PhD student papers are selected for presentation and discussion. The well-established EFA-DT is frequently held in parallel with the EFA Doctoral Workshop (EFA-DW) on the same day the EFA Annual Meeting officially starts, and celebrated with a networking welcome dinner.
The reputation of the EFA-DT as an event of excellence in its own right firmly establishes it among the 3 main pillars of EFA's success: | the EFA Annual Meeting | the Review of Finance (EFA's own journal) | the EFA Doctoral Tutorial |
Successful applicants receive a stipend of €1,000 to help cover EFA membership, registration to the Annual Meeting and travel costs.
2024 EFA Doctoral Tutorial
Date: August 21, 2024
Venue: Radisson Blu Carlton, Bratislava, Slovakia
Submission window: February 15 - March 15, 2024
Submission website: to be confirmed
Notification: Early June
Format: In person, in Bratislava
Info & Guidelines: » EFA Doctoral Tutorial – Info & Guidelines
FAQ: » Frequently Asked Questions about the EFA Doctoral Tutorial
EFA Doctoral Tutorial Best Paper Prize
The best paper presented at the EFA-DT is recognized with the Best EFA Doctoral Tutorial Paper Prize. The award for the Best EFA Doctoral Tutorial Paper is presented to the winner during the EFA Annual Meeting, consisting of a money prize (€1,500 EUR).
In 2023, there were exceptionally two joint winners:
- 'Arm’s-length creditor rights and firm investment' by Martin Kornejew (University of Bonn)
- 'Cracks in the Boards: the Opportunity Cost of Governance Homogeneity' by Helene Maghin (KU Leuven)
[JURY: 020 EFA-DT Co-Chairs – Gyöngyi Lóránth (University of Vienna), Frans de Roon (Tilburg University), Esther Eiling (University of Amsterdam), & Kristian Miltersen (Copenhagen Business School)]
In 2022, the winning paper was 'The Adoption of Artificial Intelligence by Venture Capitalists' by Maxime Bonelli (HEC Paris)
In 2021, the winning paper was 'The Gender Investment Gap over the Life-Cycle'
by Annika Bacher (European University Institute (EUI))
In 2020, the winning paper was 'Endogenous Risk-Exposure and Systemic Instability' by
Chong Shu (Marshall School of Business, University of Southern California).
Chairs & Faculty
The EFA-DT Co-Chairs are:
- Frans de Roon (Tilburg University)
- Esther Eiling (University of Amsterdam)
- Kristian Miltersen (Copenhagen Business School)
EFA gratefully acknowledges the invaluable contributions of those notable Faculty participants selected as subject-specialists for the EFA Doctoral Tutorial in Finance, who alongside the EFA-DT co-chairs generously volunteer their time and energy to share their professional expertise with up-and-coming PhD students by actively participating in this important EFA educational initiative – thereby helping to shape the future of the greater field of Finance.
Sponsors & Support
The success of the EFA Doctoral Tutorial. is also due to the logistical support of the local organizers of the EFA Annual Meeting, and the administrative support of the EFA Secretariat at the European Institute for Advanced Studies in Management (EIASM).
The EFA Doctoral Tutorial has been supported in the past by the Chicago Quantitative Alliance (CQA) with an invitation to the author of the best EFA-DT paper to attend their annual conference in Chicago.
For ten years, the EFA Doctoral Tutorial was also generously sponsored by the Nasdaq Educational Foundation (Nasdaq) whose funding contributed to the costs of organising the event between 2010 and 2019 as well as enabling a group welcome dinner thereby enhancing the social and networking aspects of the EFA doctoral events.
Recent Doctoral Tutorials
- 50th EFA Annual Meeting – Amsterdam, Netherlands
- August 16, 2021
- EFA Prize for Best EFA Doctoral Tutorial Paper 2023 awarded to 'Arm’s-length creditor rights and firm investment' by Martin Kornejew (University of Bonn) and 'Cracks in the Boards: the Opportunity Cost of Governance Homogeneity' by Helene Maghin (KU Leuven)
- 49th EFA Annual Meeting – Barcelona, Spain
- August 24, 2021
- EFA Prize for Best EFA Doctoral Tutorial Paper 2022 awarded to 'The Adoption of Artificial Intelligence by Venture Capitalists' by Maxime Bonelli (HEC Paris)
- 48th EFA Annual Meeting – online from Milan, Italy
- August 24-25, 2021
- EFA Prize for Best EFA Doctoral Tutorial Paper 2021 awarded to "The Gender Investment Gap over the Life-Cycle" by Annika Bacher
- 47th EFA Annual Meeting – online from Helsinki, Finland
- August 18-19, 2020
- EFA Prize for Best EFA Doctoral Tutorial Paper 2020 awarded to "Endogenous Risk-Exposure and Systemic Instability" by Chong Shu
- 46th EFA Annual Meeting – Carcavelos, Portugal
- August 21, 2019
- Photo Gallery
- Nasdaq Educational Foundation Prize + CQA (Chicago Quantitative Alliance) Prize for Best EFA Doctoral Tutorial Paper awarded to "Big Broad Banks: How does Cross Selling Affect Lending?" by Yingjie Qi.
- 45th EFA Annual Meeting – Warsaw, Poland
- August 22, 2018
- Photo Gallery
- Nasdaq Educational Foundation Prize + CQA (Chicago Quantitative Alliance) Prize for Best EFA Doctoral Tutorial Paper awarded to "Global Supply-Chain Networks and Corporate Social Responsibility" by Christoph M. Schiller.
- 44th EFA Annual Meeting – Mannheim, Germany
- August 23, 2017
- Photo Gallery
- Nasdaq Educational Foundation Prize + CQA (Chicago Quantitative Alliance) Prize for Best EFA Doctoral Tutorial Paper awarded to "From Local to Global: Offshoring and Asset Prices" by Lorenzo Bretscher.
- 43rd EFA Annual Meeting – Oslo, Norway
- August 17, 2016
- Photo Gallery
- Nasdaq Educational Foundation Prize + CQA (Chicago Quantitative Alliance) Prize for Best EFA Doctoral Tutorial Paper awarded to "Cash, Financial Flexibility, and Product Prices: Evidence from a Natural Experiment In the Airline Industry" by Sehoon Kim.
If you have any questions about the EFA-DT submission & application process, please e-mail email@example.com.